The Church, with an important apse volume built-in in the architecture, is probably the result of evolvement of a 16th century chapel born after the progressive urban development of “village”. At the beginning of 1600s, it became an outright church incorporating it, achieving its present appearance at the beginning of 1700s. The simple external façade is characterized by two windows, symmetrical under humble central rose window. The portal, that could be considered a simplification of baroque type, is surmounted by a lunette that delimits a fresco illustrating Annunciation of 1600s, according to a framework of late Renaissance.
On the side of entrance, there are two limestone lions: the lion on the right, that presses between nails a snake, was made by Francisco of Sicignano and it dates back to 13th - 16th century; the lion on the left, pressing a ram, is more ancient than the building of the church and was probably located in another place. In the 1700s the church was finely decorated, both inside and outside, in Baroque style that was gradually vanished because of continuous transformations occurred in successive ages. In 1858 other restorations concerned the choir organ, the laying of “riggiolata”, the floor and the rebuilding of high altar, made with polychrome marbles and with a tabernacle frame in classical style. In the 1960 it was disassembled and placed against the apse back wall to adapt the church at the new liturgy ratified by Second Vatican Council.On 23th of November 1980 the church was seriously damaged by historical earthquake; after that significant restoration activities was made. The ceiling is vaulted cross vaults in triple branches. The apse is dominated by windows with splays dome framed by buttresses. On the back wall of apse is collocated one of finest works of Maratea and surroundings dating back to the first half of 1500s, that is a painting on table depiction of Annunciation according to an iconography inspired by the frameworks of Tuscan style, by Simone da Firenze. On both sides of chancel is situated the choir, work of a wood carver from Basilicata region of first half of 1700s, in deep monochrome wood structure. On a wood loft at the entrance of the temple there is an organ of 18th century age, made in lacquered wood as the mouldings, decorated with friezes in wood and metal too.
On the left side of church entry stairs we can see the obelisk of Santo Biagio, built in 1758 thanks to the contribution of Maratea’s citizens as a sign of adoration to patron saint, as prove the two identical epigraphs collocated at both sides of base. On the other two sides there are emblems of “Borboni” and the city of Maratea. The monument built in Naples is made by a carved base, a column in marble and a marble statue of San Biagio holding the bronze crosier.